Sunday 28 July 2013

Car boot sale tales

I had a mission this morning - I was going to wake up early and go to a car boot sale to see if I could find any cheap furniture gems.

Now, to set the scene for you... I'm not a morning person at all. If my alarm is set any time before 8am, you may mistake me for a snapping turtle.

So I surprised myself when, at 7am as my alarm went off, I jumped out of bed, threw on jeans and a hoody and actually got in my car.

I like a good bargain (see evidence here) and I was of the mindset that if you get to a car boot early, you'll be the one picking up the bargains.

I went to Derby Cattle Market, which is the most well-known car boot in the area. Bleary-eyed, I jumped out of my car at 7.30am and found myself immediately spotting old furniture and running up to it.

Derby Cattle Market car boot sale on a glorious Sunday morning

Last year, my boyfriend and I did a car boot sale there when we moved house the first time, and I have a lot of bad memories of it. People surrounded you as soon as you got out of your car. Having had experience of being a seller there, I tried my best to not be one of those annoying buyers. I probably didn't succeed.

Anyway. I budgeted £20 for this trip - and I saw a lot of great stuff, including a Victorian foot stool (at least the seller said it was Victorian - but he didn't much look like the antiques type) and an Edwardian corner table.

But the sellers wanted around £30 for them. Which is fine, except no one at Derby Cattle Market would have paid that much for them. Including me, I'm sorry to say.

What I did come home with were two small tables, which I got for £8...

My two "new" tables
No idea what I'm going to do with them yet, but they're good solid oak and don't need sanding down so shouldn't be too tough a restoring project. I can only guess they've been in someone's shed for a very long time though because they are covered in cobwebs!

As soon as I got home, I put my pyjamas back on and finally had my first cup of tea of the day. Can't believe it's 9.30am on a Sunday morning and I've already been up for two-and-a-half hours, argh!

No comments:

Post a Comment